sábado, 24 de noviembre de 2007

"Legend of Meerkats"

After the African Gods of old gathered in their big meeting hall, when everyone had already eaten the kind of food which here would only be offered to Pharaohs or Kings, the most important part of their meeting started at last.
“Since you already saw how many things I created -began Nyambe the greatest of them all-, also know why you’re here for”
He turned to the left and asked.
“What did you create, Behanzin ?”
“Oh, Great God and Father, I have made the Water Creatures”
“That’s good, for the Seas would’ve been much colder without them”.
He turned to another God.
“And what you created ?”
“Oh, Father, I made the Air Creatures”
“That’s good, because between Sky and Earth there had to be life”
He turned now to the right.
“What about you, Aberewa ?”
“Oh, Greatest Father, I created Trees, Bushes and Plants”
“That’s very good indeed, for now many Creatures will find a place to hide”
“And you, Oddudua, what did you create ?”
“I made all the Creatures that walk on ground”
“Maybe what you did was much better, for now there are many voices between Sky and Seas”
Now he asked to Ruhanga.
“And what did you add to my big creation ?”
“Father of Gods, what I finally could make, is this Creature which may look like a hairless Ape, but will be capable of changing completely the face of your big work”
“Is that possible, Akui, God of Divination ?”
“As possible as true, my Lord. They’ll try over and over to change the Earth at will”
Other Gods had created Rain, Stars, Mountains, Islands and Rainbow. And each one’s work seemed good for Nyambe.
Now the great God asked to Wele, who had been waiting in his seat on the other corner of the hall.
“And what have you created ?”
“I really didn’t know what to make as the others did, my Lord, and for that, I beg your pardon ... But after seeing all what Oddudua made, I chose two Creatures, combined them in one, and something new was born”
“Show me what you did, then”
So Wele took from under his seat a little striped Creature whose arms, legs and body were long but with the right proportions ; it was restless, but suddenly stood on two legs right over Wele’s knees, to look around.
All Gods smiled ; some of them let out a soft laugh. The Goddesses were delighted.
“Lord -said Oddudua however- I’m sure that he used a Cat and a Dog, of the ones I created to complete the glory of your work ...”
“Calm, Oddudua -begged Nyambe while Wele was apologizing and admitting what he had done- ; Wele, surely you knew that everything we could create would have its part to play in days to come ?”
“He’s right -intervened Akui. -From every kind of Creature, at least one of each will be appreciated and honored over the rest”
“So it’ll be the same for my little Creatures ?”
“Yes, Wele. But not until the cunning ‘Hairless Apes’ of Ruhanga had lived on this Earth for about 2000 years”
“Anyway -went on Nyambe-, that was the special blessing I had for every Creature of Air, Ground and Water. And I won’t punish you, Wele, because you have combined Dog and Cat in the most perfect way”
“I’m very much grateful, Father of Gods ... Only if you or Akui could tell me something else about those I somehow created ...”
“It’s all very dark because of the fogs of time, but I can see quite what you want to know. In that time, now so far and hard to see, they’ll be called Meerkats in some future language ; their life won’t be easy, but they will know how to face situations which others, counted by millions, couldn’t stand a single day. These Meerkat Creatures will form mostly big groups under the direction of one or two leaders, just like the Lion families”
“And how many of them, d’you think, will be honored or appreciated ?”
“That’s hard to know even for me, Wele. Yet I can guess the number of them will be four or five. What I can see a little clearer, is that some mother will become one of the strongest leaders, and she will keep her group well joined, as if with golden chains, to her very last breath”
“And could you tell me why you reckon she’ll get such honor ?”
“Only this comes to my mind : that all her life will become a symbol of what must be done, and even in her last days she will prove to be a true queen”
“That makes me feel glad about my little Meerkats ... Now I can wait all that centuries to see what you have foreseen”

No hay comentarios: